I am in the midst of packing for my trip to India. Yes, it is eight days away, but much of my week will be spent at Annual Conference in Redlands, so I need to be ready sooner rather than later. My packing list is particular to my experience in India, so I thought I’d share some of the interesting things I pack:
- Instant Coffee - particularly Starbucks Via. While I am in Mumbai, I can find coffee, espresso drinks, strong and rich, flavorful American/European style coffee. But in the village, it is harder to come by. While I stay in Padhar, at the Guest House of Padhar Hospital, I am well-taken-care-of. The ladies cook me three meals a day and make me awesome masala chai with black tea, but no coffee, unless I bring it with me
2. Laundry detergent - The Guest House has a great basic, no-frills Wash Machine and I love to use it. This year I am packing my own detergent, since- in the past - I have spent much time looking for and purchasing laundry soap at the corner stand. This time, I am ready.
3. Gifts - I pack gifts for my friends and those who host me, and this year, I am bringing gifts for the teachers at the schools we are working with.It is a small gesture, but just a sign to let them know we are thinking of them and appreciate their work.
4. My whole medicine cabinet - luckily I stay at the Hospital and all my friends are nurses, doctors and medical personal, so if anything happens I am covered, but it is comforting to be able to reach into my bag of tricks to take care of the small stuff.
5. Since it is the beginning of Monsoon season, I bought a new rain jacket. But after looking at the forecast, I think I need to seek some advice on what to pack.